tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 03 04:43:38 1994

Re: Scrabble Letter Frequencies

>According to Susan Farmer:
>> >From: Mark Reed <[email protected]>
>> >
>> <long post and other phenomes deleted>
>>
>> >rgh	   36 ( 0.18%)
>> >

>> I must have missed something somewhere.  Why is "rgh" treated as a single
>> phenome like "tlh" and "gh"?
>>
>> Susan
>
>I personally think it shouldn't be for the same reason you
>don't have an English Scrabble tile with "QU" on it. Just
>because the letters appear next to each other a lot doesn't
>mean that they should be on one tile.
>
>The argument is that {rgh} is the only consonant cluster that
>occurs within a single syllable in Klingon. You get other
>consonant pairs BETWEEN syllables all the time, but except for
>{rgh}, {y'} and {w'}, you don't get the potential for THREE
>consonants TOGETHER. Note that any argument that applies to
>{rgh} should also be applied to {w'} and {y'}.
>
>Besides the oddity that he picked out one of these and not the
>other two, it seems to be a bad idea altogether.
>
>charghwI'

Let me guess.  From this, can I infer (at least until we learn otherwise)
that {rgh} always occurs together (ie no {r} unless followed by {gh})
and the same with {w'} and {y'}?  (But what about {-wI'}?)

Susan

Back to archive top level