tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 01 17:31:22 1994

Re: Scrabble anyone?

On Sun, 31 Jul 1994, William H. Martin wrote:
> According to David E G Sturm:
> > On Sun, 31 Jul 1994, David E G Sturm wrote:
> > > 2.  Branching will be very difficult with unmodified Klingon word length
> > > barely above 3.  I'm not exactly sure how one would get around this.
> > Neither am I, since I meant to write:
> >  "*average* unmodified Klingon word length"
> moHaqmeyna'majvam mojaqmeyna'majvam je
> Dalo'qangchoHlaHbejtaHneSchugh, vaj bISovchoHba'.

Cute, but notice I said *unmodified*.  The game of Scrabble becomes
extremely challenging in a language that has a ubiquitous CVC pattern.
Try playing it in Chinese (Pinyin, of course) or Vietnamese (vowel marks
are omitted).  Certainly long combinations exists in those languages too,
but the *odds* of having exactly the right tiles are low enough to make
it a small problem.  Let's presume we start a game of Klingon Scrabble,
and see how it goes....  (Shall we call it pIqaD'a'mey zha?)

Using my pseudorandom generator, here are your tiles charghwI':
We can start with standard rules....  Your move......   :-)

[email protected]                        overheard- "Pardon me, but if I must
David E G Sturm, Laboratory Manager (eff 8/94)     operate in a vacuum, can
Wake Forest University Department of Physics       I at least have a little
POB 7261 Reynolda Station, Winston-Salem NC 27109  ether to calm my nerves?"

Back to archive top level