tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 28 14:56:14 1994

Re: KBTP: Psalm 23 revisited;...

ghItlh pIn tIn:
[...]
>feel by a targh-herd.  I deliberately used jIHvIpbe' even though I
>could have avoided it, because I feel Klingonists have to face the
>issue squarely.  This means "I am not afraid", NOT
>"I am not afraid to be" as many Klingonists claim.  I could have said
>jIghomvIpbe', but I don't want to pussyfoot around the central issue.

Where do you get off saying that?! This proposition completely lacks any
support from TKD or any other canonical source. {jIH} used with verbal
suffixes is a verb corresponding to the copula in the first person singular.
The line {mIgh jIHvIpbe'} carries implications that are most inappropriate
for this passage. The general consensus on the interpretation of {jIHvIpbe'}
will not change to something as radical and idiomatic as "I am not afraid".
Enough flame. My alternative (and the one most other InterNet Klingonists
would probably decide on) is {mIgh vIHajbe'}. This one avoids controversy and
carries a meaning that is clear and concise, and entirely in line with TKD's
description of grammar.

[...]
>        pIn tIn.   (Glen Proechel)

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos