tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 25 10:16:31 1994

oops

charghwI'vo:

DaHram Dochmey law' vIghItlh vIneHpu'
'ach tlhIngan Hol mu'ghomwIj vIlIjpu'
jI"wing it"nIS

DaHpo' Qu'pa'Daq mu'ghomwIj vIqem.
DaHram juHDaq 'oH'e' vIqembe'.
jIQuchbe'.

Okay, so I'm cheating with DaHpo' and DaHram, but they seemed
AT LEAST as appropriate as the ever so popular po'vam and
ramvam. Also, I'm going to bag it and pull out some canned text.

Back to the movies...

I'm trying to transcribe ST5 and I am finding it quite
difficult. There are many inconsistencies with other canon and
a lot of it is simply difficult to figure out what words they
are trying to say. If anyone else has already done this, please
correct me where I am mistaken.

Thanks in advance,
charghwI'

First of all, is the woman Klingon named Vixis (Spice
Williams)? I am presuming so. Subtitles are in parenthesis and
more literal translations and comments are in square brackets.

Vixis: tlha HoD, DoS wIpuSta' (Captain Klaa, we have a target
in sight.)
Vixis: nejwI' tIQ (A probe of ancient origin.) [Ancient probe.]

Klaa: qIpmeH Qatlh'a' (Difficult to hit?) [Note: this is an
expansion on the definition in TKD of qIp.]

Vixis: Qatlhqu' (Most difficult.)

Klaa: maj (Good.)
Klaa: nuSeHmeH Hoch nuHmey (All weapons to my control.) [I am
absolutely positive that either I have this line wrong, or they
have blown it entirely. It sounds like, "For the purpose that
all weapons control us."]

Klaa: Ha' (Scope.) [Again, this is a wild guess. It sounded
like {Hay'} or {qay'}. His gesture looked like he might have
been saying, "Come on, let's go!" and the syllable sounded as
much like this as anything else.]

Klaa: (Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's metal.)
[I could not figure this out at all. It sounded like {vaj 'on
buD Daj ngeHbej DIvI'}, which which begins with gibberish, and
then borrows from a later line.]

Klaa: nuSuv DoS vIpoQ (I need a target that shoots back.) ["I
demand that a target fights us." Note that the verb {poQ} is
treated as a verb of speaking, not requiring {'e'}.]

Vixis: (Captain, new data, hostages on Nimbus III.) [Again, I'm
at a loss. I heard something like {HoD yoq Se' tlhaH yIbo' poQ
De' lI' HevtaH}, which begins with garbage and ends with a
clipped "receiving useful information." Did anybody else
understand this better?]

Vixis: tlhIngan ghaH wa' vub'e' (One of the hostages is a
Klingon.)

Klaa: latlh (And the others?) [I would have expected {latlhpu'
je}.]

Vixis: wa' tera'ngan je wa' romuluSngan (One Terran and one
Romulan.) [Shame on Okrand! What's with the placement of {je}?]

Klaa: vaj wo'Dujchaj ngeHbej DIvI' (That means the Federation
will be sending a rescue ship of its own.) ["Then the
Federation
will certainly send their empire-ship." I wonder why he didn't
call it a {ToDDuj}, since Okrand put {ToD} as a noun in the
appendix for TKD. You don't suppose her pronunciation or my
hearing is that far off, do you?]

Klaa: nImbuS wej wIghoS 'e' yInab (Plot course for Nimbus III.)
["Plan that we follow a course to Nimbus III." Note that {ghoS}
is being used as a transitive verb with the location as object.]

Klaa: reH DIvI' Duj vISuv vIneH ("I've always wanted to engage
a Federation ship.) [I would tend to translate this as {I want
that I always fight a Federation ship." I would have placed the
{reH} between {vISuv} and {vIneH} for the meaning of the
subtitle.]

[next scene:]

Vixis: nImbuS wejDaq 'ejDo' *EnterprI'* nuqlu'pu' (The Starship
Enterprise has been dispatched to Nimbus III.) [I know the verb
is wrong. Did anybody else make better sense out of it? I'm
also
surprised at the pronunciation of "Enterprise", which I would
have stated as {'enterpIS}.]

Klaa: 'enterprI' (Enterprise?)
Klaa: "Kirk" Duj 'oH (That's Kirk's ship.) ["It is Kirk's
ship."]
Klaa: "Kirk" vIjeylaHchu' (If I defeat Kirk...) ["If I can
clearly defeat Kirk..."]

Vixis: qIbDaq SuvwI' HoSchu'na' Hoch Dun puS (You would be the
greatest warrior in the galaxy.) [This line is definitely
chewed up. It begins with "Warriors in the galaxy, then has a
word that does not seem to know whether it is a noun or an
adjectival verb, and it ends with the second half of a
{law'-puS} comparative. Did anybody else understand this?]

Klaa: nom yIghuSqu' (Maximum speed.) [Very much go fast!]
Klaa: Qapla' (Success!) [Well, he got THAT one right.]

[next scene:]

Vixis: chorghSaD qelIqam HIv chuq 'e' vInoH (Estimating attack
range in 8,000 Kellicams.) ["I estimate that the range attacks
8,000 Kellicams." Yet another mess. Could it be that Okrand
hired some student to write these lines?]

Klaa: (Stealth approach, slow to one quarter impulse power.)
[Sorry guys. I can see his lips clearly in profile and I still
can't make out what he is saying here. It sounded like, {Hosbe'
rebegh vaj qI' yIghoS}. The last word is the only one I am
relatively sure about. Surely somebody else got this line? Not
only could I not understand the Klingon, but I can't figure out
how *I* would translate the English to Klingon. At least Okrand
could make up new words...]

Klaa: ghoSo'rup (Prepare to cloak.)
Klaa: So'wI' yIchu' (Engage cloaking device.)

[next scene:]

Klaa: "Kirk" DujHomDaq ghaH Daq (Kirk! He is on the
shuttlecraft!) [Note that he omitted {lup-} from the word for
shuttlecraft. Also, this seems like a strange use of {Daq}.]

Klaa: (Alter the attack course!) [To me, it sounded like he
said {qIngqang yIDungmoH}. Total gibberish to me.]

Klaa: yISo'Ha'rup yIghuS (Stand by to decloak for firing.) [Did
I scramble this one as well? It seems redundant about being
prepared, but it says nothing about firing.]

Klaa: 'enterprI' yIghoS (Bear on Enterprise.)

Vixis: 'enterprI' 'oH DoS'e' (Enterprise targeted.) [Enterprise
is the TARGET."]

Klaa: yIbaH (Fire!)

Klaa: HeDaj yIqIm (Track her course.) ["Pay attention to her
course."]

Klaa: (He is good.) [It sounded like {poghuH} to me. Any ideas?]

[next scene:]

Klaa: He pagh pagh pagh DoD cha' yInab (Plot course zero, zero,
zero mark two.) ["Plan course 0,0,0 mark 2.")

Vixis: 'ach HoD veQ wIghoSchuq veH tIn wI'el maH'e' (But
Captain, that course will take us into the Great Barrier as
well.) [I don't know what {veQ} is doing in there, but the rest
of it sounds like, "But Captain, if we follow garbage, WE will
enter the Great Barrier." Maybe the word was {Hevetlh}?]

Klaa: "Kirk" wItlha' DaHqu' (Where Kirk goes, we follow.) [I am
surprised to see {-qu'} tagged to {DaH}, but I'd interpret it
as "Immediately, we follow Kirk"]

Later, without subtitles, the superior officer commands Klaa
with a word that sounded like {yIja'gen}. I have no idea what
that last syllable was supposed to be. They also made a couple
mentions of {QI'tu'} (Paradise), which they pronounced as
{qI'tu'} and there was a {maj} and a {bej} near the end.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level