tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 20 06:12:00 1994

Re: Nick's comments on HolQeD 3.1

CharghwI'vo:
     My Captain posts excellently, as usual. Still, a couple comments:

     First, I'd like to clarify that while I have made the personal choice to
avoid the use of {-ghach} except in the instances NOBODY contests (like
following verbs that are explicitly listed in TKD with a {-Ha'} or {-moH}
suffix as part of the verb, that does not mean that I wish to be critical of
my captain for making a different choice. I take it as a personal challenge
to restrict myself to this usage of {-ghach}. I offer that others may be
rewarded by a similar challenge. Meanwhile, I will not stand defiantly before
anyone choosing to follow the method of Krankor. I prefer to recast without
so much dependency upon nouns when the language leans so heavily toward the
significance of verbs. Avoiding {-ghach} is a simple extension of that focus.

> >3. The author on p.11 is a superstar and should be given lots of money.
>
> wa'maH qelI'qam tIqbogh betleH vIlo'taHvIS maqghachvam vImupqangbe'bej
> {{;-)

     nuqjatlh? "tIqbogh" 'e' vIyajbe'.

> >5. p. 17. Ruth Marie Bieber, meet Will Martin. ;)

     Okay. I'll confess ignorance. WHO is Marie Bieber?

> >6. p. 17. Jonathan Van Hoose's suggestion seems to me pretty high priority
> >for discussion amongst the HoDpu' here it would affect...
>
> <shrug> Actually, it's old hat.  I stated my own position on this years
> ago, literally.  I'll restate:  ST5 contains more than enough buggy
> tlhIngan Hol to take anything from it without a grain of salt.  I've
> been HoD Qanqor since well before that shoddy film came out, and I'm
> not gonna change just cuz of that.  My take is that it can be done
> either way, until proved otherwise.  Of course, if it shows up again
> in a more reputable source, I may well have to back down.

     I just rented ST5 to finally try to transcribe the Klingon and
discovered that I didn't have a clue on half of what they were saying, and
the clear parts were often simply wrong. {je} is repeatedly used BETWEEN
nouns. I'll post what I've figured out soon (on disk at home) and I'd
appreciate help with the parts I'm totally wrong on. In particular "He's
good" was what sounded like a single word I can't remember now, except that
it started with {po-}. I couldn't find anything in TKD to pin it to. So, was
Okrand drunk, or did he get a student to do this for him?

charghwI'

Back to archive top level