tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 18 06:40:35 1994

Re: KLBC: Grammar question

Qobvo':

> Uu> I don't know if anyone who responded to this post (whatever happened
> Uu> to the  week's grace period I asked for, folks????  This was dated the
> Uu> 6th...)  actaully answered the question or not, but here goes...
>
>Of course they did.  Am I allowed to be just a =little= confused?  :-)

Of course!  I am here to de-confuse you...  *pounds a few over-eager people
over their ridges as she yells a command to her helmsman to charge up the
disrupters of the lIy so' again*  ... so ask! {{:)

> Uu> Looks fine to me.  I only would have added something to <HeghmeH> to
> Uu> give it a
> Uu> subject/object, even if it were something like <Heghlu'meH>.  Hm.  On
> Uu> second  thought, after skimming the section on -lu' in the KD, I am not
> Uu> certain that  you can use -lu' this way... I sense a debate on the use
> Uu> of -lu' coming up.  {{:(
>
>I thought of using the -lu' suffix, but I avoid it unless I'm *sure* I know
>what I'm saying with it.  I was (and still am) unsure if using -meH is
>appropriate.  Guido thinks no, Krankor thinks yes, and Bill wonders what to
>think.

Wise move on not using -lu' until you understand it. {{:)  I am ashamed to
admit that I didn't make my usual mental note on just *who* I was talking to,
which I do so I can keep in mind each person's relative skills.  To answer
your question bluntly, yes, your use of -meH is *fine*... I just have the bad
habit of offering alternate translations. {{:(  In *general*, if you get a lot
of conflicting answers like this, Qanqor is probably the best person to listen
to.  (I know several people are going to jump all over me for this... but note
the words in *general*, please!).

>What *I* was wondering was if I needed a verb prefix on yInmeH and HeghmeH.

Not for what you are trying to translate, no.  The prefix rarely ever hurts,
but in this case, it can be omitted.

>qatlho'.  I was one of the originators of some truly horrendous Hol taglines
>that I posted on Fidonet KLINGON and Dave Barron (I think) posted here.  Many
>were done before I ever heard of the KLI, so I have *some* excuse.  I'm trying
>to update them as I learn more (I'm taking David's postal course now).

You are much improved since. {{:)

>... qoH vuvbe' SuS - qeylIS

"The wind doesn't respect a fool"?

--HoD trI'Qal