tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 18 04:47:58 1994

Re: HolQeD miscellanea

I feel obblidge to respond to parts of nIchyon's post, as there is a terrible
error in it, which I *know* he should not have made, as he is definitely one
of the more advance speakers on this list:

>Comments on HolQeD 3:1.
>
>1. naDev juHlIjDaq, contrary to Krankor's claim, is not an apposition. He
>quotes the definition of 'apposition' as "the second [term...] has the
>same grammatical construction as the first". naDev is a locative adverb.
[text deleted]

No, naDev is *NOT* a locative adverb.  I looked this one up, just to be sure.
naDev is quite clearly marked in the KD as being a NOUN.  It has the one
exception of being a noun which cannot take -Daq... but it is *still* a
*noun*.  Perhaps you are thinking of its uses in English (which I confess I
have no idea what you would call it... but "locative adverb" sounds adequate),
but you are discussing Klingon.  In Klingon it is a noun, and may be used as
any other noun, and should be interpreted based on that.  I would translate
the fragment you opened this paragraph with as "in/at/to your home of here"
(as opposed to a home/house you might have down in Florida, where you spend
the winters, for example.  I believe you mentioned this translation later as
well...).  Also, that makes something like this correct Hol:

	Dal naDev
	"It is boring here"

Please don't append terran terms to Klingon words.  Perhaps you mean to say
"'here' is a locative adverb", and automatically translated when you typed..??
Absolutely *nowhere* in my copy of the KD does it say anything about naDev
being a adverb of any sort!

>7. p. 19. I'm not sure what to make of trI'Qal's translations of her
>Holorimes. Either she's misinformed about Klingon grammar, or is in fact
>quite ingenious in exploiting it. (I'm thinking in particular of
>jup, lI' Daq 'e' ghoS ta' --- "Friend, the emperor goes away from the site
>which is transmitting.")

Um, I translated very loosely.  This is a sentence-as-object construction.
Look at it again.  If you are referring to the word <jup> at the front, I
suggest you re-read the section on Names and Addresses.  If you are referring
to something else entirely, then you better state what exactly is confusing
you. :)

--HoD trI'Qal
  tlhwD lIy So'

Back to archive top level