tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 04 07:05:31 1994

Klingon Love

Well, several of you mentioned using {bangwI' SoH} for "I love you".
Well, just to explain, my logic in using {bang SoH} was that {bang} is
defined as love or one who is loved, so I was using the 'one who is loved'
sense of it.  It never occurred to me to use {bangwI' SoH} because that,
to me, sounds like 'you are my love'.  Unfortunately, I have a tendency to
translate too literally from English to Klingon, and honestly, 'you are
my love' is just as valid to say in English as is 'I love you'--it's just
that you don't hear it like that usually.  :)

If I were to use {bangwI'} in saying "I love you" I would probably be
more inclined to say something like {bangwI' Daghaj} since you'd have to
be going to a rather 'loose' [in terms of literal wording] translation
anyway.  Would that be a better way to say it, anyway?

Back to archive top level