tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 31 21:11:38 1994

Warped

Okay, so I'm plowing through three weeks of backed up email. I'm only about a
week through it as I write this (which is feeling OH SO ironic when I come
across remarks on indicating past tense in narrative, but nevermind).  Then
out of nowhere comes the following idea.

Given the brusque, in-your-face, don't-waste-my-time, nature of Klingon, and
the word of Marc Okrand that Klignons don't have a word for "farewell" but
rather simply leave (this from an NPR interview he did some time back)
consider this point:

A klingon will leave when his/her task is complete.  If a foolish human
didn't understand and asked the klingon why he/she was going, the Klingon
might state the obvious fact by replying:

          ta'ta'       it is accomplished

If you get the joke, then you'll probably want to join in with me in sending
Marc a collective groan, as in many ways this (if it IS deliberate on his
part) is the worst pun in TKD.  If you don't get the joke, work on it.

Lawrence

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   ::
:: The Klingon Language Institute   ::
:: POB 634, Flourtown, PA 19031 USA ::