tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 16 12:31:42 1993

Re: vIDub'a'

Matt,

     Please do not take this to be unkind criticism. I humbly suggest that my
skills at READING Klingon are so meager that I am unable to consistently
figure out what you are saying. As I drag my poor, thick skull through your
words, the parts that sink in are more often the probable errors than the
meanings. Even then, I sometimes screw up dealing with the errors. Meanwhile,
here are a couple notes that might prove helpful in future writings:

> wej HolDaq vIngeD 'ach

     "Not yet I be easy in Klingon however."?
     I might have expressed it as:

wej 'ach jIHvaD ngeD tlhIngan Hol .

     or perhaps:

jIHvaD ngeDlI'be' tlhIngan Hol.

>     nem tlhIngan HolDaq Krankor parHa' vIjatlh 'e' vIHonbe'

"parHa'" means "like" as in "to have affection for", not as in "to be similar
to". It is a verb, opposite meaning to "par". I'm also a little uncertain
about "HolDaq". I tend to think of "Daq" as being a more literal reference to
a physical space. True gramarians could offer a more authoritarian base.

> ngoQ jIcher'eghbej

     I would have expected:

ngoQ vIcherbej

     The "'egh" could fit as a reference to an indirect object, but if you
really wanted to convey that, it might be better to say:

jIHvaD ngoQ vIcherbej

     That way, you don't obliterate the verbal link to the direct object
"ngoQ".

--   charghwI'

Back to archive top level