tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 10 16:19:50 1993

Re: Learning tlhIngan Hol

One thing I'd point to as a useful tool in learning tlhIngan Hol:

One problem we have is a lack of people with whom to speak the language.
But remember that you do have yourself.  Whether one is willing to admit
it or not, we do all talk to ourselves, at least internally.  So teach
that little voice in your head to talk Klingon.  I've found it quite useful
to try to say and think the little mundane things we think to ourselves in
tlhIngan Hol.  Sentences like "nuqDaq 'oH wepwIj'e'?" when I'm running around
the appartment looking for my jacket.  Things like "jIghung'a'?  nuq vISop
vIneH?  pizza?  ghobe', wa'Hu' pizza vISoppu'".  Maybe I'll even speak to
the inanimate object:  "wepoywIj!  nuqDaq SoH!  nuqDaq qalanpu'!"  The key
is to have the discipline to stop and lookup any piece you don't know, when
the idea hits you.  (This, for instance, is the only way I know the word
"wep".)  In other words, your little internal voice acts as the sentence
generator, and then you consciously take it upon yourself to, at first, do
the translation, and then, later, as you get good at it, just do the practice.
So, when you're driving along and notice the needle on E, think or say to
yourself "nIn wIje'nIS".  That kind of little mundane thing.

				--Krankor

Back to archive top level