tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 27 06:47:51 1993

Poker Klingon Words

Well, yesterday I sat down with PK and tried to get all the new words I
could.  Some of them are easier to hear than others.  I'll put them all
down, with their meanings and the phrase in which they appear, and I'll put
another clean list at the end, suitable for framing or grepping.

Qeq	aim (v); in {'otlh peng Qeq[chu']}.  Plainly transitive.

jeD	thick, be thick (of a liquid) (v); in {'IwwIj jeD law' 'IwlIj jeD
	puS}. This one might be misheard, but I'm pretty sure it's jeD.

mu'qaD	curse (insult) (n); in {mu'qaD veS} and {matay'DI' vIHtaHbogh bIQ
	rur mu'qaDmey}.  Plainly a new compound.

'Iwghargh	bloodworm (n); in {reH HIvje'lIjDaq 'Iwghargh Datu'jaj}.
		Possibly two words, but written as one on the card that
		comes with the tape.  Obviously a compound.

nagh	mate with (v); in {targhlIj yInagh yIruch}.  May be {ngagh}, but
	seems to be {nagh}.

luSpet	black hole (n); in {ghe''orDaq luSpet 'oH DaqlIj'e'}.  Sounds like
	it could be {luSpe'}, but is written down as {luSpet}.

mIp	wealth (n); in {DojneS mIplIj}.  use of {mIp} as noun is new.

chaw'	permit (n); in {cha'puj vIngevmeH chaw' HInobneS}.  use of {chaw'}
	as noun is new.

QI'lop	name of a holiday (n); said by Michael Dorn, so hard to hear.
	{QI'lop} makes sense, as the holiday is said to celebrate the
	military.

to'baj	type of animal (n); in several phrases, including {to'baj 'uS
	lughoDlu'bogh tIlaj}.  Possibly {toDbaj}.

qa'	spirit (n); in {SoHDaq qeylIS qa' yInjaj}.

HuH	bile (n); in {jagh lucharghlu'bogh HuH ghopDu'lIj lungaSjaj}.

chemvaH	type of animal (n); said once by Dorn, so could be anything.

roS	lick (v); in {QuchwIj roSQo'}.  I listened to this over and over
	again and I'm still not sure it isn't {DroS}.  I know that Okrand
	taps his r's so they're dentalized, but it still sounds very
	specifically like {DroS} and not {roS}.  On the other hand, we've
	never seen a Klingon word with an initial consonant cluster before.
	On the third hand, the root {roS} already occurs in {roSHa'moH} (to
	paralyze), but then homonyms are not unheard-of in Klingon.

One other compound that may not be obvious is the use of what sounds like
{lIghHa'} for "get off", in "get off that transporter control panel!" (pet
command), which is {jol SeHlaw lIghHa'}.

We also have evidence of {tagh} being used intransitively, where its
definition looks more transitive to me, in {taghbej mu'qaD veS}.

Another non-lexical feature occurs that bears repeating.  I recall someone
was asking how to say "after" in Klingon (apart from reversing the focus
and using "before"/"-pa'").  There's a sentence near the end of the tape,
"we will talk after dinner", which goes "'uQ wISoppu'DI' maja'chuq".  Now
that makes eminent sense, recalling that {-pu'} does *not* mark past tense,
but marks the perfective, an action completed.  So it's "When we have
finished eating dinner, we talk."  This "-pu'DI'" sould work nicely for
many cases of "after."

OK, now as promised the word-list again, in short form.  Subject to change
as Okrand corrects spelling and definitions.

Words from _Power Klingon_ transcribed my Mark Shoulson, October 1993

chaw'   permit (n)
chemvaH type of animal (n)
HuH     bile (n)
jeD     thick, be thick (of a liquid) (v)
luSpet  black hole (n)
mIp     wealth (n)
mu'qaD  curse (insult) (n)
nagh    mate with (v)