tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 25 13:57:42 1993

porghpu' porghDu' porghmey joq

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Mon, 25 Oct 93 15:57:56 EDT

>I don't remember the beginning of this thread, but doesn't it say in TKD
>that objects that are capable of language take -pu', but may take -mey
>to represent "scattered".  They say it doesn't happen with body parts,
>except in poetic instances.  Is the question just of the plural "bodies",
>or of a specific expression?  Remember that plural suffixes aren't always
>necessary; depending on the circumstances, you might as well just use "porgh"
>and let the plurality be derived from context.

This is true, as I mentioned; there's always {porgh law'}.  We were sort of
ignoring the "scattered" meaning of "-mey", because saying "porghmey" when
talking about "scattered" would beg the question of what to do when they
weren't scattered: would it be still "porghmey" (treating "porgh" as just
any non-sentient noun), or "porghpu'" (treating it as sentient)?

>On the topic of context, how is "body" intended?  It could be just the
>trunk of a person (whole body minus head, arms, legs), or do you want it
>to mean "body", as in whole bodies?

*sigh*.  Wish Okrand would have defined his words with more than one to
three English words.  It's just plain not enough.

>In that sense, perhaps the appropriate suffix actually changes;  If you
>wanted to convey "bodies" as in "How many able bodies do we have left?"
>then perhaps porghpu' would be appropriate.  If you wanted to convey the
>anatomical "body", perhaps -Du' would be better; "They had cuts all over
>their bodies".  And then if you wanted to enforce the dead body sense, you
>might be able to use -mey "There were bodies everywhere!"

Again, you can probably break a few rules here and there to get a specific
meaning, especially in a borderline case like this where it's not even
certain which rule obtains.  Though to talk about bodies, as in corpses,
being everywhere, I'd use {lommey}, and that wouldn't imply "scattered",
since they're not language-using in the first place.  You'd have to express
it otherwise, like in {Dat lommey tu'lu'}.

~mark

Back to archive top level