tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 18 14:59:07 1993

Re: wot vItu'laHbe'law'

> SaqaD: Who here can figure out how to say, "The commander who is bolder
> than the officer destroyed the enemy space station."?
>
> !  @  #  $  %  ^  &  *  (Guido1)  *  &  ^  %  $  #  @  !
>
> -- End of excerpt from [email protected]

                         jIlaj

                jagh tengchaH Qaw' la'vam
            la'vam jaq law' jaSvetlh jaq puS

     Just because you like to build long, convoluted sentences in English
does not mean I like doing the same in Klingon when two excellently Klingon
sentences say EXACTLY the same thing more clearly. We can wrestle to
construct something like your original challenge, but is the effort really
worth it? Language is more to express a meaning than to move words from one
system to another without accepting the differences between the systems. Many
of the messages I hate to try to read on this list are written with more of a
focus on this kind of technique wrestling instead of more gracefully getting
a meaning from the mind into Klingon words. We too often try to show off our
flourish before we even learn how to say simple things simply.

--   charghwI'

Back to archive top level