tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 22 06:39:27 1993

Re: Relative clauses continued

On Nov 20,  1:25am, Nick Nicholas wrote:
> Subject: Relative clauses continued
> I had my look at Turkish, and Turkish does this with relative clauses:
     Unfortunately, I doubt knowing Turkish will help much with Klingon.
> Because of the ship in which I ate.
> jiSopghach Dujmo'
> Because of (my eating's ship)

     vIpar. I would profoundly prefer to make this into two simple sentences.
The first would be "DujDaq jISoppu'". The second would have "Dujvetlhmo'" in
it. It would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much clearer and therefore less
likely to cause a nearby Klingon from ripping out your lungs for insulting
him by saying something he or she doesn't understand. (Remember, the women
are no less dangerous than the men.)

     The rest of your examples could be similarly simplified by splitting
them into two sentences. "I ate at the ship," and "Because of the ship..."
really are two different complete thoughts, after all...

--   charghwI'

Back to archive top level