tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 16 07:28:12 1993

wa' yu'ghachHom

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1993 23:03:29 -0400 (EDT)

>How would one say "I am bigger than you." Somehow, I don't like
>*{jIH tIn law' SoH tIn puS}

>Suppose it's *{jItIn law' bItIn puS} where {law'} and {puS} really are
>something like "be greater than, be less than," respectively, in such
>a construction. Maybe the subject-verb syntax is not another isolated
>incident since we did find that Okrand asserted a similar odd syntax when
>dealing with the optative suffix {-jaj}.

>I don't expect anyone to be able to validate or invalidate any of these
>theories; I'd just like a little feedback.

Very interesting.  And it makes some sense.  {jIH tIn law'...} doesn't
sound good to me either (though absent any solid evidence, that's what I'd
use).  The law'/puS construction has long been a tough nut, not quite
looking like nouns or verbs (word order wrong, etc).  Okrand's
semi-explanation opens up another possible form, too.  He says that {la'
jaq law' yaS jaq puS} is like "the commander's boldness is many, the
officer's boldness is few".  So maybe it's like a noun-noun construction,
with the "-ghach" (if required) elided for whatever reason.  This would
make your sentence into *{tInwIj law' tInlIj puS}, for what that's worth.

~mark

P.S.  I'm also not seriously recommending we adopt any of these proposals
without hearing from Okrand; just throwing ideas around.

Back to archive top level