tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 10 07:52:34 1993

Power Klingon

>From: Will Martin <[email protected]>
>Date: Wed, 10 Nov 93 09:14:58 EST

>On Nov 10,  8:11am, Nick Nicholas wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Power Klingon

>> #There's also "Don't lick my forehead" which sounds a lot like "QuchwIj
>> #DroSQo'", which represents, if I hear aright, an
>> #innovation in Klingon words, as "?DroSQo'" starts with a consonant
>> #cluster.
>>
>> I suspected when I read this, and wasn't disconfirmed on listening, that
>> the word is probably DeroSQo' (cf. tera'ngan, pronounced tra'ngan)
>>
>I wonder if it might be ghroSQo', since there is only one allowed
>consonant cluster in a Klingon syllable and it does involve the "r", and
>that's "ghr". TKD has no words beginning with that cluster, though it does
>often end syllables with it, so maybe this would be our first example of it
>LEADING a syllable? I have not checked the tape, but if I listen to myself
>say "DroSQo'" and "ghroSQo'", I could understand someone confusing the two,
>if they didn't understand that "DroSQo'" violates basic Klingon morphology
>(if that's the word).

Actually, there are three consonant clusters that have so far been found
within Klingon syllables: "y'", "w'", and "rgh".  No others have been
attested yet, and those are always at the ends of syllables.  No previously
known word (or syllable) ends in "ghr"; where did you get that from?  Some
end in "rgh", but that's something altogether different.

Personally, I'd find "ghroS" just as unsettling as "DroS"; both would be
starting with a consonant cluster which is something we've never seen
before.

Besides, if you *do* listen to the tape, it's very definitely not "ghroS".
You can hear the click of the "D" very clearly.

~mark

Back to archive top level