tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 04 18:35:03 1993

Re: tlhIngan 'o' Humghach

Alright, this is getting out of hand, so I'm posting in English
to be sure that everyone understands.

I am forced to reiterate the policies of this list and request that
people adhere to them.  It is expressly inappropriate to be publically
correcting other people's Klingon on this list.  The job of correcting
is reserved specifically to the list grammarian(s).  This is explicitly
stated in the list policy document which everyone received upon subscribing.

The reasons are twofold:  1) It is uninteresting waste of bandwidth to have
the same correction pointed out over and over in repeated posts and 2) this
list exists to encourage people to practice and learn; nobody should be
intimidated from making an attempt because of fear of a deluge of corrections
thrown back at them.

I normally don't make a big deal out of it if once in a while somebody posts
some corrections, particularly if the corrections are on the mark.  But it
has now gotten out of hand.  The recent bumper-sticker list has generated
*4* posts from people jumping in to correct, in addition to the grammarian's.
This is just too much.  If people wish to try their hands at correcting, I
am happy to delegate on request.  But it shall not be the case that this list
becomes a place where people spend more time correcting each other than
generating genuine original posts.  I had thought that my comments in Hol'e'
to charghwI' would serve as a general word to the wise, but the corrections
continue to come in, so I've now gone English and explicit.

So, to reiterate:  If you want to participate in correction, drop me a line
and I'll assign things as they come up.  If you think that something went by
uncorrected that should have been, again drop me a line-- perhaps I overlooked
it, but perhaps I either chose to let it go or sent the poster private mail.
If you think the thing to do is blithely assume that nobody but yourself is
capable of or willing to notice errors and provide corrections, you are incorrect.

Nuff said?

			--Krankor

Back to archive top level