tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 04 13:27:00 1993

tlhIngan 'o' Humghach

>From: [email protected] (The Songbringer -- Marnen to the common fol
>    k)
>Date: Wed, 3 Nov 93 15:58:13 EST

>I have been left in the dark by most of this post. What follows is my attempt
>to make sense of it, together with some comments. (This is not intended as a
>flame, and I'm sorry if it came out as one.)

>Doch tlha' jatlh trI'Qal:

>: Hut: Qaw' Qawbe' pagh
>"9: To destroy or not to destroy."
>I'm assuming you mean >Qaw'be'.<

Probably, but the {pagh} belongs between the verbs.  Verb-conjunctions come
between, noun-conjunctions come after.

>: jav: vagh DIS Qu'ma':  qIb qum
>"6: Our five-year plan: to govern the galaxy."
>No problems here, except that >-ma'< is only used to show possession of
>language-using nouns, so it should have been >Qu'maj<.

Watch it here.  Klingon has no infiitives.  It isn't "to rule the galaxy";
it looks more like "That he/she/it rule the galaxy".  Should be "qIb
maqum".

>: vagh: <<pu'meywIj yISop>> ja'ta' 'er
>"5: The >'er< told him 'Eat phasers.'"
>If you just mean "said", >jatlhta'< would be better than >ja'ta'<.....

I don't think that's necessarily so.  I don't assume that {ja'} implies or
requires an indirect object, I don't think that's implied by the
definition.  As a matter of personal taste, I do tend to use it more for
"saying to someone" while just saying in general I'd more likely translate
as {jatlh}, but if I really do mean "told him", I'd probably explicitly use
{ghaHvaD}.

>:
>: wa': tera' wIQaw'ta' 'ej 'o' Humghachvam rIgh wIHevpu' neH
>"1: We destroyed Terra and all we got was this lousy bumper sticker!"
>No problems, except for >Humghach< which should be >Humwi'<.

{rIgh}?  Sounds English-idiomatic to me.  That wouldn't make sense even to
an English speaker just ten years ago.  I'd have stuck with {QIv}.  And the
{neH} belongs after the noun to indicate it was all you got, not after the
verb to indicate that that's all you did with it (ref. Sect 5.4).  I kinda
like {Qo'noSDaq Suchta' vay' 'ej HIpvam QIv neH vISuqta' [jay']} :-)

~mark

Back to archive top level