tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 02 13:59:02 1993

Conjunctions

Yes, it's well-known that Okrand made lots of egregious boners in CK; we
went over them in detail when the tape came out (and even he must have
realized; the emphasis on how important it is to get the toasts right in PK
seems to me to be a dig at all of us pedants who hassled him for "'IwlIj
jachjaj" in the first place).

One thing we should consider, though, is that while Okrand makes plenty of
boo-boos, he generally *doesn't*, so unless we have real evidence that his
sentences contradict his own rules, we should seriously consider accepting
them (recall the debate over {naDev jIHtaHbogh vISovbe'}, though I must say
I greatly prefer the new improved {DaqwIj vISovbe'})

Otherwise I guess we're back in Square One.  If we won't accept the one
piece of canonical evidence found (absent finding another; I bet there is
one somewhere) then I guess we have to fake it.  Like I said before, to my
mind I'd probably say that in a case like {joq} either singular or plural
is correct, perhaps the pedants on Qo'noS have some preferred one that most
agree on (and probably not even all), and {ghap} or {je} would probably
prefer singular and plural respectively (assuming the elements are
singular, of course), but maybe not even exclusively there.  What good's my
opinion?  Probably not much, but it's the only one I have.

~mark

Back to archive top level