tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 21 12:41:35 1993

Re: Question from STrek-l

Personally, I *hate* Klingon mysticism.  To my mind, Kang's old-series
statement that Klingons have no devil definitely implied that Klingons
have no time for such foolishness.  Alak, TNG has brought in all sorts
of mystical baggage, but, happily, it seems very clear that many, many
Klingons don't buy into it (such as ghaw'ran).  So I'm quite delighted
that there's no Klingon word for 'ghost'.  Buy the way, check out this
perfectly aligned paragraph, purely by accident!

As for "gray", that is a much more glaring omission.  However, I think
I can offer a solution.  When I once asked Okrand about the whole SuD
issue, he claimed that, yes, Klingons can tell the difference between
blue and yellow, they would just call one something like "dark SuD" and
the other "light SuD", or some such.  Following this lead, I submit that
once could refer to grey as qIj wov-- light (or bright) black.  Although,
I suppose that ghosts would tend towards the lighter shades of gray, which
thus might want to be chIS Hurgh-- dark white.

All of which serves to remind me of a riddle I asked Eli just the other
day:

Q:  qIj 'ej chIS 'ej Doqchu' nuq?

A:  meQtaHbogh Enterprise.

			--Krankor