tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 20 15:45:38 1993

This 'n' That

Well, well, well.  So much to comment upon.

First, my hearty endorsement of those who defended Klingon culture.  They
said pretty much everything I wanted to say.

Second, my appreciation to our esteemed list administrator for taking firm
and appropropriate action regarding Mr. Kloko.  About him, the less said
the better.

However, it does bear considering charghwI's suggestion about the word
tlhoqo'.  Normally, of course, the policy of this list is to refrain from
inventing vocabulary.  But I think this represents something else entirely:
explicit slang.  It certainly is common enough for groups of people to have
shared joke and slang words that they use among themselves only, inside jokes
that they wouldn't expect anyone outside the group to understand.  For instance,
only some of my high school friends would understand me if I were to utter
"Akra alert!", whereas probably only my friend Chris would laugh if I were
to say "crupperware", and again, the number of people who would get the
reference if I were to say "sempre fi, mac", is quite small.  So I propose that
we could use tlhoqo' as local slang, appropriate only to the list and list
members.  However, I'm not convinced that "misanthrope" quite captures the
meaning.  I'd tend to think of it more as something suitable for page 178.
Only in this case, we would have some notion of the kinds of meaning and
overtone we are applying to the epithet. {{;-)

I did also want to comment ever so briefly on Kloko's accusation that the
list is made up of "Sensitive, caring, New Age Klingons."  Ignoring, for
the moment, his complete denigration of Klingon culture, which would leave
open the question of just why he would be upset with people for not adhering
to that culture, let me offer this:  The most quintessentially Klingon response
would clearly be to kill one's adversary.  And, figuritively speaking, that
is what has been done.  Klingons don't take shit.

Finally, there is the issue of marqem leaving us.  But that deserves to be
handled in SuvwI' Hol, and so follows in another post.

			--Krankor

Back to archive top level