tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 14 11:39:35 1993

puqpu' QIch

~mark-vo':

>>wej jejwI' ghaj mIvwIj.
>>mIvwIj jejwI' bIH wej.  [OK, should be wej'e', but it spoils the meter]

>"My helmet's points are three" is a very English-based idiom.
>Pronoun-verbs are copulas, indicating identity, not quality.  Perhaps I
>should emend this line to

>mIvwIj jejwI' mI' 'oH wej

>"My helmet's points' number is three".  Still singable, just speed up a
>little for "jejwI' mI'".

Why not:
     wej law' mIvwIj jejwI'
I'm going along with Capt. Krankor's view of transitive constructions, as I
read it. ... Unfortunately that's bad for the meter, because it makes the
stress come out wrong.  But grammatically, why not?

- marqem

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

Back to archive top level