tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 08 19:39:07 1993

Re: Open letter to Elias Israel

I apologize for taking so long to respond to Will's mail. I try to be
responsive, but sometimes career gets to the top of the list before
Klingon. (DoHa')

Let me state at the beginning that as far as I'm concerned, our
exchange in HolQeD was an academic disagreement and not cause for
personal enmity. I do not object in the least to the fact that someone
else might disagree with me, nor am I a stranger to the concept that I
might be wrong. (As a software engineer, 9/10ths of my job is fixing
today what I screwed up yesterday.) And indeed I was wrong.
Several of the translations had obvious and simple grammatical
errors, and some of the points that I made about spatial expressions
have been further illuminated by other contributors to this list.

The last two issues of HolQeD give one the impression of a war of words
between us. But, though I think he's doing a bang-up job and hate to
complain, I think that Lawrence could have turned down the heat a
little with some slightly different editorial decisions. For example,
I don't think it was necessary to publish three different contributors
in 2.2 in rebuttal to your article.

Anyway, by my own rules this message is off-topic and in the wrong
language. I think I'll end it here so that we can get back to tlhIngan
Hol.

Eli

Back to archive top level