tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 07 09:40:54 1993

HolQeD 2:2

>From: Will Martin <[email protected]>
>Date:    Tue, 6 Jul 93 16:50:05 EDT

>Thanks for the puzzle. For those trying to figure out ~Mark's second
>paragraph, the key is the only word with mixed case being the major topic of
>the Klingon paragraph. I was almost disappointed to discover that the rest of
>the code was a straight alphabetic offset...

Oh!  I'm sorry, I didn't mark what that second paragraph was because I
assumed (unfairly) that everyone would know.  It's a straight 13-character
rotation of an English version of the first paragraph, so you won't read it
unless you deliberately want to.  That kind of pseudo-encryption, called
"rot-13" is often used on computer fora like this to provide a kind of
wrapper that has to be opened by the reader, for potentially offensive
jokes or spoilers to riddles.  This way, non-Klingonists can give up and
read the English (after all, the content is not specifically
Klingon-related) without its presence spoiling the challenge for those who
want to try the Klingon.  On UNIX, to unscramble, try using the command:

tr '[a-zA-Z]' '[n-za-mN-ZA-M]' < filename

where the file called filename contains the message.

~mark

Back to archive top level