tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 16 13:01:47 1993

Pondering...

>From: [email protected] (David Barron)
>Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 07:52:32 -0700 (MST)

>I need  some clearification on a one point.
>Perhaps this would make a good discusion.

>How do these two mu'tlhegh differ:
> a)  lughHa' jabbI'ID wa'DIch
> b)  lughHa' 'oH  jabbI'ID wa'DIch'e'

>Under what cercumstances would one work better than the other?

Under *all* circumstances, the first would be better than the second.  The
second is pretty much ungrammatical no matter how you read it.  If "'oH" is
being used as a pronoun, then it has to be the subject of the verb
"lughHa'".  In which case, "jabbI'ID wa'DIch'e'" is a lone noun-phrase, a
sentence fragment.

If you're using "'oH" as a verb, then you have two verbs at the beginning.
I suppose it could be two sentences, "lughHa'.  'oH jabbI'ID wa'DIch'e'"
(he/she/it/they is/are wrong.  It is the *first message*).  But it looks to
me like you're trying to use "'oH" like we use a copula in English, to link
adjectives and nouns.  There is *no* basis for this in Klingon.
Pronoun-verbs are used to indicate existence (as in "pa'wIjDaq jIHtaH") or
equality between nouns (as in "puq ghaH qama''e'").  You can't have a
*verb* in front of it, then you're trying to have a sentence as an object
(which requires a special pronoun, 'e'/net).  Your second sentence is just
plain wrong, near as I can tell.  Make sense?

~mark

Back to archive top level