tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 23 09:26:21 1993

relative clauses?

So far as I know, this is our one true "addition" to the language that
isn't documented in anything, but has been sanctioned verbally by Marc
Okrand.  In order to say "I see the child whom the officer hit", you tag
the "head" of the clause (the child) with "-'e'".  Thus,

puq'e' qIppu'bogh yaS vIlegh.

Conversely, to say "I see the officer who hit the child":

puq qIppu'bogh yaS'e' vIlegh.

If you wanted to split it out into two clauses as jaques was trying, my ear
likes "puq qIppu' yaS, 'ej puqvetlh vIlegh", but that's not nearly so clear
or succinct.

Again, as I recall, Okrand himself approves the use of "-'e'" to flag the
head of a two-headed relative clause.

~mark

Back to archive top level