tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 21 00:56:50 1993

Klingon food phrases -- source unknown

tlhInganpu'

Here's something from the local newspaper.

Geno

>From the Las Vegas Review-Journal, first page of the Food
section, column 1, Wednesday, 1993 June 16:

FOODSTUFF

`My name is Worf and I'll be your jabwI'

In "The Klingon Dictionary" (Pocket Books) and the tape
"Conversational Klingon" (Simon & Schuster), linguist Marc
Okrand gives useful phrases for addressing Klingons, those
gruff "Star Trek" aliens who are like a cross between samurai
and timber wolves.

But he doesn't include nearly enough phrases for ordering in a
restaurant. So, the guide below helps fill this gap. (Remember
that in Klingon, D is pronounced with the tongue curled back,
gh is gargled, H is like ch in German, q is pronounced way back
in the throat, Q is the same but more violent, S is a choking
sh and ' is a catch in the throat like a hiccup.)

jabwI', Heghlaw'pu' nay'wIj: "Waiter, my entree appears to be
dead."

tujtaH'a' 'Iwchab?: "Is the blood pie still warm?"

chay' qagh bovut?: "How do you prepare serpent worm?"

tlhol vImaS jIH: "I prefer it raw."

lu', qaH. QaQqu' wIv: "Yes, sir. An excellent choice."

nay'mo' bIbel'a'?: "Is the dish to your liking?"

veQ 'oH: "It is garbage."

rInpu'. latlh yIqem: "It is finished. Bring another."

wej yInpoH nay'qoqvammo' qorDu'lI' DaquvHa'moHpu': "With this
so-called dish, you have dishonored your family for three
generations."

Huch 'ar DaneH?: "How much money do you want?"

Notes:

Typed in by EuGene epetai-Tramaglino ([email protected]). Notes
by same.

No author is listed on my 8.5 x 11 inch section of the page in
question. Notice that the article does NOT say that Okrand said
any of this.

The quotes in the headline above and other punctuation are as
they appear in print. A glottal stop or close quote is missing
in the headline, and there are question marks and commas in the
Klingon text.

Pocket Books is a division of Simon & Schuster.

Words are redefined. jabwI' probably ought to be "server", nay'
is translated as "entree" (wa'DIchnay'?), et cetera.

You never know what you will be        EuGene epetai-Tramaglino
attracted to -- or who you will                House Tramaglino
love -- till it happens to you.        Freedom! Honor! Success!
      -- Jaye Davidson --                       [email protected]

Back to archive top level