tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 03 14:38:53 1993

Tenses and translation questions

I recently drove my grandparents from Tennessee to Wyoming,
and back to my home, Austin.  In order to work on my Klingon
and Esperanto, I kept a journal of the travel and translated
it into Esperanto and Klingon.  This did wonders for my
ability in the languages, but I came up with some questions:

1:  vavnI''oywI'vaD waqmey teqlu'pa' yopwaH tuQmoHlu'(ghach)
Qatlh law' waqmey teqlu'ta'vIS yopwaH tuQmoHlu'(ghach) Qatlh
puS vIja'ta'DI', Qoch ghaH.

    When I told my grandfather that it might be easier to
take off his shoes before he put his pants on, he disagreed.

	Assuming my translation is correct, would I need the
-ghach suffix on tuQmoHlu' to make the phrase a noun-like
phrase for the comparrison form (law' and puS)?

2:  Has anyone figured a good way to join a list of nouns
with "je" and avoid confusion with the noun-noun
construction.

3: I remember a little while ago, people were wondering how
to say "with someone".  I apologize if this has been settled
already, but what about saying "in so-and-so's presence".
"SaHghachwijDaq" for "with me"?  SaHghachwijDaq
"Yellowstone" maghosta'= They went with me to Yellowstone?

4:  I have no experience with languages that have no tense
conjugations.  I felt I might have been relying too much on
the "-pu'" and "-ta'" suffixes to show action in the past.
Could someone enlighten me on which would be better for "I
saw Yellowstone today."
	DaHjaj "Yellowstone" vIlegh.
	DaHjaj "Yellowstone" vIleghta'.

Thanks for any help.