tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 14 06:46:36 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] qolqoS?

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Michael Roney, Jr. <[email protected]> wrote:
> Do we have an actual definition of {qolqoS}?

The simple gloss is "core". The first example of its usage was a note
from Marc Okrand to Lawrence Schoen, acknowledging that the upcoming
qep'a' was going to be small, but pointing out that the {qolqoS} of
the KLI would be there.

> I think we can all agree on "core", but what about the rest?

I believe it should always make sense to translate it as "core" with
the meaning shared by "heart" or "essence" or "kernel". It doesn't
mean a piece of corn, or a scent, or a blood-pumping organ. I would
not use it to refer to an apple core, or a drilled rock or ice sample.
I am willing to entertain "nucleus" as a possible translation.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 6:31 AM, André Müller <[email protected]> wrote:
> My main definition: fanatical core of a group; the most dedicated of a group

Lawrence guessed that it meant "fanatical core", and Marc responded
"not necessarily fanatical."

-- ghunchu'wI'