tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 18 07:44:53 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: veSDuj

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

I had the same disappointment, compounded by the fact that even the name distinguished it from other letters, but on reflection and discussion I became satisfied that the sound is separate enough that it makes sense.

The qaghwI' is more of a cessation of sound than a sound. Because every (otherwise-)initial vowel is automatically preceded by one, you can imagine early Klingon writing not including any notation for it, just as some phonetic writing systems omit vowels. The words distinguished by qaghwI'mey a person just had to know. Then, like the Romans realizing late that zeta was of use to them (that's why, I was told, it has such a different position in the Greek and Latin alphabet), Klingon scholars added a letter. That makes its minimal shape and non-conformist name make sense, and it makes me happy.