tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 11 09:41:02 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] how did Okrand choose which words to create ?

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 11:20 AM, HoD qunnoQ <[email protected]> wrote:
> i would like to ask,if anyone knows whether Okrand has ever commented on how
> he chose which English words to translate to Klingon,and which to omit. Is
> anything known on this subject ?

He started with the script for Star Trek III, providing translations
for everything that the Klingons were to say in their language. Then
he translated everything they said in English, in case it was decided
to do them in subtitled Klingon as well. Then he started filling out
the vocabulary with anything mentiioned by a Klingon in the original
episodes. The rest of the words are a combination of "a language is
going to need a way to say that" and random things that occurred to
him.

A couple of the words in the original lexicon are private references
to people he knew, like his neighbor Jill. I suspect we will never
know all of those.

-- ghunchu'wI'