tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 26 08:47:37 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhaQ

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, May 26, 2015
>
> Klingon word: tlhaQ
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: be funny

  lut tlhaQ DaSov'a'
  Do you know any funny stories? PK

  bItlhaQ
  You are funny. KLS

KGT 132:  One simile of this type associates a people with a quality opposite from one they actually typify: {nong; vulqangan rur} ("passionate as a Vulcan".) This would be used to describe somebody who was not passionate. As far as can be determined, this is the only use of irony in expressions of this type, and what led to this unique occurrence is not known.

(HQ 10.2:11):  There is a joke, Maltz recalled, about someone trying to lick some food off of a stirring stick while wearing shoes. Maltz laughed, but didn't tell the joke.

TREK TRIVIA:

 "A joke is a story with a humorous climax." (Spock to McCoy, ST4)

OKONA: "You don't know what a joke is?"
DATA:  "Of course I do. It is a witticism, a gag, a bon mot, a fluctuation of words concluding with a trick ending." (TNG "The Outrageous Okona")

"Joke: a verbal comment or gesture designed to provoke laughter." (Borg Drone One to Doctor, VOY "Drone")

"I don't understand their humor either." (Worf to Data, TNG "The Naked Now")

SEE ALO:
Dogh 			be foolish/silly (v)
qID 			joke, make/tell a joke (v)
Hagh 			laugh (v)