tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 18 07:03:57 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngogh tun

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, May 16, 2015
>
> Klingon word: ngogh tun
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: pillow
> Source: qepHom 2010, Email from Marc Okrand, 15 November 2010[]

At the 9th qepHom'a' in Saarbrücken someone asked Okrand about the word for pillow:

  Maltz first said that Klingons don't have pillows and he wondered
  why anyone would want one. But he's seen them (somewhere) and knows
  what they are. So when pushed - "If you have to call it something,
  what would you call it?" - he said {ngogh tun}. A {ngogh} is a block
  or lump or brick. [...] He thought more about it and said maybe
  another way to say pillow was {QongDaq buq} "bed pouch", but he said
  that could also apply to a sleeping bag. Perhaps a sleeping bag is
  {QongDaq buq'a'} and a pillow is {QongDaq buqHom}.
   [Lieven L. Litaer, 12/07/2010]

CK:  Since Klingons are accommodating of foreigners, guest rooms in hotels do come equipped with a bed but that it's most often made of the same material as the floor.

When Captain K'Vada showed Picard to his quarters aboard his Bird-of-Prey, he slapped the hard bed - more like a sleeping shelf - and sneered, "You will sleep Klingon-style. We do not cushion our bodies by putting down a pad." Nonplussed, Picard slapped the "bed" himself and replied, "Good. I like it that way." (TNG "Unification I")

SEE ALSO:
tun  			be soft (v)
let 			be hard (v)

nIm wIb ngogh 	cheese (i.e. a block?) (n)
tIr ngogh 		bread (i.e. a loaf?) (n)
ngogh mutlhwI'  	bricklayer (n)

--
Voragh