tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 13 07:52:52 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Phonemes

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

I've been trying to thing of instances where we might see {n} follower by {gh}; it doesn't strike me as a strange combination, but I've never seen it.
This would be interesting because - disregardring the three-consonant cluster {tlH} - it's the only case I can think of where capitalizing {H} makes any difference.

{-ngH-} occurs when one applies -Ha' to a verb or adverb ending in {ng}. An attested example is {tungHa'}.
It also occurs when one applied -Hom or -Hey to a noun ending in {ng}. Attested examples include {vengHom} and {mangHom}.

I can find no instances of {-ngh-}. They could however be formed by adding -ghach to suffix-free verb ending in {n}; it would probably raise some eyebrows (because -ghach does not normally appear unless preceded by a verb suffix), but not ungrammatical.
The concept/action of smiling could for example be referred to as {monghach}, and "evasion" might be translated as {junghach}.

A more likely case would be a (spaceless) noun compound involving -ghom. A hunting party might be called a *chonghom*, and a group of khruns could be called a *Hunghom*.
If one were to disregard letter case, the latter would be identical to {HungHom}, whatever that might refer to.