tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 01 10:27:26 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Safety Motto

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

naHQun:
>> I've recently been appointed to the Safety Committee at work.
>> All of the members are supposed to come up with a personal safety
>> motto or saying that will end up on the back of our safety vests.
>>
>> I'm assuming there are no famous quotes about safety, but I'm open to
>> suggestions.

ghunchu'wI':
> I mentor a high school robotics team. I have occasionally pointed out to
> the students the generic Klingon safety warning that one would expect to
> find on heavy machinery and consumer products alike:  yIQIpQo'

Why not use or adapt one of the many proverbs about fools?

  Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'
  Only fools laugh while warriors die. PK

  meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH
  Only a fool fights in a burning house. TKW

  qoH vuvbe' SuS
  The wind does not respect a fool. TKW

  bImaw''a'?  Duvuv SuS DaneH'a'?
  Are you crazy? Do you want the wind to respect you? KGT

  not qoHpu''e' neH ghIjlu'
  Only fools have no fear. TKW

  qanchoHpa' qoH, Hegh qoH
  Fools die young. TKW

  Hegh neH chav qoH
  A fool's only achievement is death. TKW

Klingons may not worry about playing it safe, but they never want to play the fool!

"Obviously you do not know the difference between courage and foolhardiness."
 (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

> Along the same lines, I suggested adding {yIDughtaH} to the safety poster
> some of the team members were designing a few years ago.

Also {yIHoj!} "Be cautious!" from KGT:

  Hoj; tera'ngan rur
  "cautious as a Terran" (KGT)

Hmm... I mentioned that there's no known verb for "be safe" but we do have {Dugh} "be vigilant", {Hoj} "be cautious", {yep} "be careful" (also {yepHa'} "be careless") - all no doubt useful when describing aliens.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons