tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 01 06:54:59 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Safety Motto

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

naHQun:
> I've recently been appointed to the Safety Committee at work.
> All of the members are supposed to come up with a personal safety motto or
> saying that will end up on the back of our safety vests.
>
> I'm assuming there are no famous quotes about safety, but I'm open to
> suggestions.[]

Perhaps for cultural reasons there's no known verb "be safe", only the slang term {QaD} "be safe/protected" (cf. KGT 161) used in the *paq'batlh*:

  chalqachDaq bIQaDbe' je
  Even in a tower you are not safe. PB

It may not be an actual proverb - I don't know the context (see PB p.158) - but I rather like the sound of this pithy line which, I believe, means:  Never let your guard down for a moment.  And speaking of guards...

  'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej
  When an escaped prisoner looks for a guard, he always finds one. TKW

Likewise there's no noun for "safety"; the closest I can find is {Hung} "security".  Other useful verbs with examples of usage to inspire you include:

Qob  	be dangerous (v)

  DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'
  Set fire on the side when there is danger. PK

  naDev jIQal vIneH; Qobbe''a' bIQ
  Is it safe to swim here? (TNK)

Qan  	protect (v)

  Qang QanmeH yan 'ISletlh Damuv 'e' wIvlu'.
  You are chosen to serve on the Yan-Isleth and protect
  the chancellor. MKE

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons