tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 28 23:29:10 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] qepHom 2015 with Marc Okrand

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

My mail program doesn't do attribution properly. The text from DloraH that
I'm replying to is after my message.
--
But aren't you exposed to French in international phrases like "soupe du
jour"  "au jus" or "le mot juste"? Don't snooty waiters say "Bonjour

The j in French jour is like the s in English treasure.

I think it's appropriate in TKD because people who HAVE learned sounds in a
foreign language often pronounce Klingon sounds like the ones from their
other foreign language. I have more than once had someone respond to my
correcting their Iy to an I by commenting that they were trying to do it
like Spanish or Italian, and they just felt like the foreign i was supposed
to be an ee. So it will stop them from going all jalepeno, or jour or fjord
on their Klingon jaymey. Yes, for people unfamiliar with the sound it's as
useless as the Aztec word for egg, but we still love TKD, don't we?

- Qov
---
And in this general thread, the mention of the French j...  whether it be
discussing Klingon, or other places I have come across it, I don't know
French.  I've always wondered, why would a book written for an American
audience (not just TKD) make a comparison to a foreign sound?
Stereotypically, Americans are not familiar with other languages.  Even
after a couple decades with this hobby of studying languages, Klingon, Thai,
Arabic, Maori, and a few others, I still have no idea what TKD means where
it says "never ever as in French /jour/."

-- DloraH