tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 28 19:16:11 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] qepHom 2015 with Marc Okrand

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 8:33 PM, DloraH <[email protected]> wrote:
> And in this general thread, the mention of the French j...  whether it be discussing Klingon, or
> other places I have come across it, I don't know French.  I've always wondered, why would a book
> written for an American audience (not just TKD) make a comparison to a foreign sound?
> Stereotypically, Americans are not familiar with other languages.

"Soup du jour" is probably encountered often enough to make the
other-language "j" worth guarding against.

> Even after a couple decades with
> this hobby of studying languages, Klingon, Thai, Arabic, Maori, and a few others, I still have no
> idea what TKD means where it says "never ever as in French /jour/."

I suspect it refers to an actual on-set incident during the filming of
Star Trek III. I remember Marc Okrand mentioning something about a
mispronounced word being noticed by Leonard Nimoy, who I think then
complained that the character was supposed to be Klingon, not French.

-- ghunchu'wI'