tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 22 14:41:45 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] jar wej *jarjep

De'vID ([email protected])

On 16 March 2015 at 12:51, De'vID <[email protected]> wrote:
> San jatlhwI': jar wej *jarjepmo' yIyep! [...]

Last week, I posted my reconstruction of the "Ides of March" scenes
from Julius Caesar, hoping someone would comment on it or suggest a
better translation.

Since no one did, I asked Marc Okrand what he thought of my *{jarjep}
idea. Here is his reply:

--- begin Marc ---
Maltz is a devotee of Shex'pir, as he is of other traditional Klingon
literature. He said that in the original Klingon version of the play,
yulyuS qaySar was told to beware of the {maS'e' So'bogh pagh}, the
full moon. He said he really doesn't know why this was changed in the
English translation, but he guessed it may have something to do with
how Earth calendars work or used to work.

Regarding {*jep}, he said he'd never heard {*jarjep} (or {*DISjep} or
{*Hoghjep} or the like), but if someone were to say a word like that,
he'd probably get the gist of what was meant.
--- end Marc ---

So, there was no "Ides" in the original Klingon, that's just an
artifact of the Federation Standard translation. However, {maS'e'
So'bogh pagh} is how Klingons talk about the "full moon".

I wonder now how they talk about the new moon, and also eclipses (one
of which just happened recently on Terra)?

--
De'vID