tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 11 06:43:35 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Windows 8 and pIqaD fonts- solution to problem

SuStel ([email protected])

On 3/11/2015 9:24 AM, SuStel wrote:
On 3/11/2015 5:25 AM, De'vID wrote:
On 11 March 2015 at 04:53, Robyn Stewart <[email protected]> wrote:
When I installed Windows 8, [...]
O frabjous day! jIQuch.  (I can read that as jIQuchqu’, but it’s
probably gibberish to others – sorry)

Apparently, Windows 10 supports pIqaD natively. I've been told this,
though I haven't confirmed it myself. However, I saw this tweet
earlier:
https://twitter.com/shanselman/status/572575416222818305/photo/1

He uses the pIqaD font found here:
<http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnste/archive/2013/05/20/piqad-font-for-bing-s-klingon-translator.aspx>,
which uses Everson's Unicode code points. Interestingly, it includes a
web font. Without a corresponding input method editor, the font is of
limited use. Has anybody written one?

I've got the latest Windows 10 preview build, but I don't know how he
got pIqaD to appear in that Command Prompt window. There is no
localization for Klingon. I suspect this was a developer's joke.

The font creator has more blog posts about Klingon on Windows here:
<http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnste/archive/tags/klingon/>

You can follow the instructions here <http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnste/archive/2006/02/17/klingon-in-piqad-windows-vista-custom-locale.aspx> to install a Klingon locale and keyboard map. The keyboard didn't work for me in Windows 10, and I'm not seeing the font in console or winrt programs. However, the Region control panel works fine: <http://tinyurl.com/ldsnnbv>

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/