tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 30 00:11:45 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: DIng

De'vID ([email protected])

On 29 June 2015 at 16:12, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, June 29, 2015
>>
>> Klingon word: DIng
>> Part of speech: verb
>> Definition: spin
>
> Philip Newton (3/22/2012):  Someone (De'vID jonpIn?) asked Marc Okrand about {Ding} at the qepHom wa'maHDIch (2011) in Saarbrücken. I seem to recall that he agreed that it was intransitive (the spinning thing {Ding}'s, and the one who spins it {DIngmoH}'s it), but am not sure whether the answer might not have been the characteristical noncommittal instead.

I don't recall if I was the one who asked the question (I might have
been), but I was there, and I noted down the answer. Philip's
recollection is correct, Marc said that the subject of {DIng} spins,
and that someone or something {DIngmoH}s something else. Actually,
what he said was that the pair {DIng} and {DIngmoH} worked like {jIr}
and {jIrmoH}, but he changed the topic (or the topic was changed on
him) before he could further explain what was the difference between
{DIng} and {jIr}. In the same conversation, he confirmed that the
subjects of {ghur} and {nup} are increasing and decreasing,
respectively.

--
De'vID