tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 29 11:53:03 2015

[Tlhingan-hol] FW: Klingon Word of the Day: SoSnI'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

I was merely speculating, but the idea of being related by blood may already be covered by exiting terms:

tuq  		tribe, house, ancestral unit, lineage

KGT 36f.:  Klingon society is a stratified one. That is, there are clear distinctions between those with great wealth and influence and those with little or none. This sort of status is a matter of inheritance. Among the higher classes, one is born into an ancestral unit known as a {tuq}, normally translated "house".... Each house is led by the eldest male direct descendent of the previous leader (there are complex traditions dealing with what happens if there is no male heir)

tuqnIgh 	member of one's house
HQ 9.3:  {tuqnIgh} is used to refer to any member of a house. Thus, {qeng tuqnIgh} is a member of the House of Kang, and {tuqnIghwI'} is a member of my house.

chuD 		people, kin, member of the same group or tribe or clan

The question is whether these include one's {'e'nalpu'} or only one's blood relatives.  {qorDu'} "family" may be the general, all-inclusive term which includes everyone.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons