tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 29 07:32:56 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Is

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Thursday, January 29, 2015
>
> Klingon word: SIq
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: use the index finger
> Source: HQ (10:2 p7)

  SeHlaw SIq
  touch the control panel with the index finger (HQ 10.2)

  maghwI'Daq jISIq
  I point at the traitor with my index finger.
  I point out the traitor with my index finger (HQ 10.2)

  ghIchwIj vISIq
  I touch my nose with my index finger (HQ 10.2)

  ghIchwIjDaq jISIq
  I point at my nose with my index finger (HQ 10.2)

  ghIchwIjDaq jISIq'egh
  I pick my nose with my index finger (HQ 10.2)

  maghwI'Daq SIq naQjej
  The spear points at the traitor.
  He/she points at the traitor with his/her spear (HQ 10.2)

  maghwI'Daq SIq naQjejwIj
  My spear points at the traitor.
  I point at the traitor with my spear (HQ 10.2)

  maghwI'Daq SIqmeH naQjejwIj lo' SuvwI'
  The warrior uses my spear to point at the traitor.
  The warrior points at the traitor with my spear. (HQ 10.2)

(HQ 10.2:8-9):  "There are some special uses of the reflexive forms of the finger verbs. For example, while {ghIchwIj vISIq} means "I touch my nose with my index finger" and {ghIchwIjDaq jISIq} means "I point at my nose with my index finger", the phrase {ghIchwIjDaq jISIq'egh} (with {-'egh} "oneself"), literally "I use at myself my index finger at my nose", is used for "I pick my nose with my index finger."

Also note the nomen agentis {SIqwI'} "index finger, first finger" (i.e. "thing which is used in an index finger-like manner" (HQ 10.2:7)".

PUN:
cf. Lake Skaneateles, one of the Finger Lakes in New York state (with the helping vowel /I/ inserted)

SEE ALSO:
Heng 		finger holes in a musical instrument (v)
'uy 		press down (v)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons