tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 20 12:23:32 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] tagha' MARSDaq BEAGLE2 nejwI’’e’ chillu’bogh lutulu’

SuStel ([email protected])

On 1/20/2015 3:15 PM, Brent Kesler wrote:
I was pondering something similar a few months back. I wanted to
translate, "These words are difficult to translate." I tried:

1. ?mughlu'meH Qatlh mu'meyvam.

But I thought that might mean something like "These words are being
difficult /so that /someone translates them", or "These words are
being difficult in order to be translated", which is obviously not
what I was going for.

I found some examples that suggest my original translation,
{?mughlu'meH Qalth mu'meyvam} would be acceptable.

Another one is from Star Trek V: {qIpmeH Qatlh'a'?} "Difficult to hit?"

This is another instance where sloppy translation by Okrand has become
widely cited by the community. Your analysis is correct; literally this means "is it being difficult so that someone hits?"

Qatlh mu'vam mughmeH Qu'.
these words' translation job is difficult

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/