tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 15 06:30:12 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tengchaH

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> >> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, December 03, 2014
> >>
> >> Klingon word: tengchaH
> >> Part of speech: noun
> >> Definition: space station

Voragh
>> logh Hop Hut tengchaH
>> space station Deep Space Nine (SkyBox S99)
>>
>> [...] And possibly *{verghmeH HIchDal} "docking port"?

~quljIb:
> I wonder how one would render "upper pylon three"?  {(tengchaH) Dung
> verghmeH HIchDal wej}?

I'd imagine so, though it's a bit wordy for daily use at a busy spaceport.  We have the noun {vergh} "dock", so I can imagine informally:

   Dung vergh wej		"upper dock 3"
   bIng vergh cha'		"lower dock 2"

If someone has to have a word for pylon, we already have {tut} "column, post" so for those massive pylon/docking structures on DS9 *{tut'a'} or even *{tut'a' verghmeH} "docking pylon"?

And speaking of pylons and posts, those large ceiling supports flanking the captain's chair on a BoP which look like giant shock absorbers are called:

  qoD QutlhwI' ngaDmoHwI'
  Inner Support Stabilizer  KBOP

--
Voragh