tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 12 08:49:01 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: voq

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, January 11, 2015
>
> Klingon word: voq
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: trust, have faith in

Duj tIvoqtaH
Always trust your instincts. TKD

qavoq
I trust you. CK

chovoq'a'
Do you trust me? CK

yIvoq 'ach yI'ol
Trust, but verify. TKW
 [Russian original: Доверяй, но проверяй!]

yIvoq 'ach lojmItmey yISam
Trust, but locate the doors. [sic for {tISam}!] TKW
 ["This adage offers the advice:  Even with those who appear to be honorable, ethical, and deserving of trust, one must always be careful." (TKD 186)]

DujlIj yIvoq
Trust your instincts. TKW

pIj monchugh vay' yIvoqQo'
Don't trust those who frequently smile. TKW
 [Kor harked back to this expression when he said, referring to the Organian Council of Elders, "I don't trust men who smile too much." (TKW 167; cf. TOS "Errand of Mercy")

nobmey qembogh yIrIDnganpu''e' yIvoqQo'
Don't trust Yridians who bring gifts. TKW

Huch nobHa'bogh verenganpu''e' yIvoqQo'
Don't trust Ferengi who give back money. TKW

TKW 83:  Thus, "You salute the stars" [{Hovmey Davan}] means "I trust you" or "I know you will honor your word.

KGT 145: "compare {voq}, trust, and {voqbej}, certainly trust)

SEE ALSO:
Har 		believe

voqHa'  	distrust (v)
nub 		be suspect