tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 23 15:34:56 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] New canon phrases (no new words, or maybe there are)

DloraH ([email protected]) [Hol po'wI']

> Years ago, Okrand sent Glen Proechel a "get well" letter when
> he was hospitalized for heart and kidney failure which read in part:
>
>   yIpIv
>   Be healthy!
>
> Glen commented that "I don't know that this makes that phrase
> the 'official' way to wish someone health in Klingon, but it
> is consistent with the idea that sickness is considered a
> weakness and a Klingon needs to be ordered to stay healthy."
> (Proechel, 3/1998)

For me this is funny because this is how I handle my family when one of them gets sick.  I tell
them, "Be healthy!", but they cannot comprehend that as a command.

-- DloraH