tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 02 11:08:30 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tajtIq

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

Interestingly, there are articles on Memory Alpha and Memory Beta stating that this weapon was used in the DS9 episodes "Apocalypse Rising" and "To The Death", but the scripts to both episodes refer to them as mek'leths (wrongfully, it appears), and it's unclear how the weapon used came to be known as a tajtIq.

Both episodes came out before KGT was published. I wonder if perhaps they may have appeared in the game "Star Trek: Klingon" before that, but I'm fairly certain that they're not.

Perhaps the original creator of the Memory Alpha article had read KGT and just made an assumption, which has then become widespread as a result.
In either case, the tajtIq is described in further detail in Keith R.A. DeCandido's "The Klingon Art of War", with a picture that appears to solidify the connection between the two weapons.

Memory Alpha article: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tajtiq