tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 07 11:42:44 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: wej

SuStel ([email protected])

On 4/7/2015 2:26 PM, Robyn Stewart wrote:
Other clarification techniques:

SuvwI''e' wej vIllegh.

As for warriors, I see three.
I see three warriors.

wej SuvwI'pu' vIlegh. (still possible to mistake, but clearer)

I see three warriors.
I don't yet see warriors.

There is a kind of stress difference when you say it out loud, I think the
wej for not yet is longer.  This is odd, because obviously they are the same
words in the dictionary, but through use they feel different. Maybe it's all
in my head.

Our transcription system and the pIqaD we've been given don't show all aspects of speech, like length and stress, yet they are surely used.

Okrand even mentions sound length in KGT where he uses the example word {qettaH}, saying that younger Klingons would pronounce the {tt} short, while older Klingons would either pronounce two aspirated {t}s or one double-length {t}. {pp} and {tt} are most likely to be reduced; {ll, mm, nn, ngng, ww}, and {yy} are least likely to be reduced.

So who knows? Maybe {wej} "not yet" really is pronounced {weej}. Or maybe not. That's the trouble with having only fictional native speakers. However, the phenomenon is quite real, however it may manifest. We just can't examine it.

--
SuStel
http://www.trimboli.name/